PhD Position in (Post-)Quantum Cryptography (Marie Curie ITN)
Jointly with the group of Cryptology, we are looking for an excellent candidate for a fully funded PhD position as part of Quantum-Safe Internet (QSI), a Marie Curie Innovative Training Network (MSCA-ITN). The QSI network involves other top-ranking partner universities from France, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, the UK, and Switzerland, as well as industrial partners. At Bochum, you can expect an excellent research environment, including the Cluster of Excellence CASA and the Max Planck Institute for Security and Privacy.
You will conduct research in algorithms for classical and quantum cryptanalysis and publish/present the results at top venues for research in classical and quantum cryptography and IT Security. You will be jointly supervised by Alexander May and Michael Walter.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in computer science, mathematics, theoretical physics, or a related field.
- Outstanding grades in classes related to cryptography, (quantum) algorithms, theoretical CS, or mathematics. (Familiarity with provable security and/or a strong mathematical background are a plus.)
- You are curiosity driven, enjoy combining creativity with mathematical precision, and are open to collaborations.
- You are fluent in written and spoken English (no German required).
- Compliance with the MSCA-ITN mobility rule: You must not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before your recruitment date.
- A fully-funded position (100%, E13 salary)
- Well-rounded training offered by the QSI network, covering a range of topics related to secure communications in the quantum era, as well as complementary training intended to enhance your personal development.
- A generous travel budget that allows for, e.g., extended visits of consortium partners and attendance of summer schools and conferences.
Please email email@example.com with the following information:
- Brief cover letter describing your background and research interests
- CV, including transcripts (BSc + MSc)
- Electronic contact details of 2 referees
- Any other relevant material (MSc thesis draft, GitHub link, …)
We are still accepting applications until the position is filled. We strongly encourage applications from members of any underrepresented group in our research area.